The Importance of Annual Air Conditioner Maintenance
Spring has arrived, and while it may still feel like winter, our air conditioners will soon be working hard to keep our home's cool and dry. Before your air conditioner is called into service, now is the time to schedule your annual cooling system tune-up.
Proper cooling system maintenance, along with a few simple steps, will help keep your house cool, ensuring that your air conditioner is operating at peak efficiency, while also keeping your utility bill as low as possible.
Your cooling technician will perform a comprehensive inspection to find any potential problems that could lead to a breakdown. A dirty, unmaintained can cost you hundreds of extra dollars in extra energy costs each season, while also shortening the lifespan of the unit, so a tune-up is cheap insurance.
There are other steps you can take yourself to keep your cooling systems working smoothy, these include:
- Changing your furnace air filter regularly. Clean filters enable your HVAC system to operate more efficiently, causing less wear on the motors and parts. It will also keep the air in your home cleaner and healthier.
- Inspect your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks. Seal any leaks with high quality duct sealing tape.
- Replace or install weather stripping around doors, windows and baseboards. Cracked or worn weather stripping allows cool air to escape.
- Ensure that your home is well insulated. Fiberglass insulation is the easiest to install and the most effective. Insulation with an R factor between 30 and 49 is effective and can save up to 10 percent in energy costs.
- Manage your home's temperature with a programmable thermostat. Keep the temperature cool at night and warmer during the day when you're away from home. Programmable thermostats are an affordable way to control indoor temperatures for optimal comfort and efficiency.
- Block out direct sun with drapes and window shades.
- Use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout the house.
If your air conditioner is not effectively cooling all areas of your home, or you notice unusual sounds coming from your air conditioner, call Air Specialties Air Conditioning and Heating, our experienced team can help diagnose the problem and repair your cooling system so it provides reliable cooling throughout the hot summer months to come.