Each year thousands of people are sickened by carbon monoxide. Because the CO gas is colorless and odorless, it's important to take steps to prevent CO poisoning in the home.
Never use portable gas or charcoal grills indoors
Ensure that your heating system is operating safely by having an annual cleaning and safety inspection performed.
Check appliances and vents for visible soot stains, blockage and corrosion. An improperly vented appliance such as a gas water heater or dryer can cause exhaust fumes to enter the home.
Never use a gas oven to heat your home
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
It's important that every level of your home have a CO detector installed. The detectors should be installed near bedrooms. When a CO detector detects and elevated level of dangerous gas, an alarm will go off alerting you of potential danger.
If you suspect you have carbon monoxide poisoning
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Dull headache
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
If you experience these symptoms get out of the home and seek emergency medical treatment immediately. Keep still to conserve oxygen in the blood.