Once a house fire starts it is only a matter minutes before it becomes life-threatening. By following a few safety steps when using a space heater you can avoid becoming a statistics.
- Space heaters should never be closer than 3 feet to upholstered furniture, clothing, mattresses, bedding and other flammable material.
- Place the space heater on a hard, level and nonflammable surface
- Keep children and pets away from space heaters
- Never leave a space heater running when you are away from home.
- Plug space heaters directly into a grounded wall outlet without adapters or extension cords
- Choose a model with features like a built-in thermostat that shuts the heater off when the room temperature is met and a thermal cut out switch that shuts the heater off if it gets too hot.
- If you have kids or pets, a cool touch exterior can prevent accidental burns
- Ensure there is a working smoke detector on every level of the home and test them monthly